Sunday 26 February 2012

A single database - how will it work? Part 2

Following on from part 1 of this topic I thought I'd add some information regarding how we will manage a range of issues related to a single customer database & what this means.  Rather than re-writing information that is already available, can I point you here? This is the information that has been considered by the Transitional User Group and approved by the PLS Standing Committee. It covers the following areas:
  • Single membership
  • Assigning membership
  • Library cards
  • Joining requirements
  • Minimum standards regarding communicating with customers
  • Borrowing rules - consistency and local flexibility
  • Exceptions to making collections available to State-wide access
  • Placing holds/reservation - State-wide access with local prioritisation
  • Administration of the customer database.
I believe that this is a comprehensive list that will answer most questions.  However if there are still issues that you consider need decisions or further explanation please let me know.


Also - I would like to bring to your attention something that was posted in the comments section of my previous post.  I was talking about how a single bibliographic database would work & Tania Paull posted a link to one of the SWIFT libraries which she had previously managed.  I'm re posting the link to the site here, but would also say take a look at Tania's comments about being able to set the search to default to see local collections, but allow customers to see and search other individual libraries or the whole consortium.  The link is http://swft.chrl.sirsidynix.net.au

No comments:

Post a Comment